With the ChemSpider team I am leading the charge to show how experience, knowledge and insight can build a platform to facilitate "Building a Structure Centric Community for Chemists." Through ChemSpider (www.chemspider.com) we are providing the means by which a Semantic Web for chemistry can be realized now. Over the past decade I held many responsibilities including the direction of the development of scientific software applications for spectroscopy and general chemistry, directing marketing efforts, sales and business development collaborations for the company. Eight years experience of analytical laboratory leadership and management. Experienced in experimental techniques, implementation of new NMR technologies, walk-up facility management, research and development, manufacturing support and teaching. Ability to provide situation analysis, creative solutions and establish good working relationships. Prolific author with over a hundred peer-reviewed scientific publications, 3 patents and many public presentations. Founder of ChemZoo Inc., the host of ChemSpider (www.chemspider.com). ChemSpider is an open access online database of chemical structures and property transaction based services to enable chemists around the world to data mine chemistry databases. The Royal Society of Chemistry acquired ChemSpider in May 2009. Presently working as a consortium member of the OpenPHACTS IMI project. This focuses on how drug discovery can utilize semantic technologies to improve decision making and brings together 22 European team members to develop an infrastructure to link together public and private data for the drug discovery community.
Vice President of Strategic Development, ChemSpider
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- May 1, 2009 - Current
- The role of strategic development for ChemSpider at the Royal Society of Chemistry is to define the vision for ChemSpider to create the primary chemistry internet portal for the community. This will involve collaborating with the community of cheminformatics providers, chemical vendors, online resource providers, publishers and thought leaders to build a centralized hub for resourcing chemistry related data and information.
- Nov 1, 2007 - Current
- ChemConnector is a consulting organization focused on connecting chemists with solution providers. With a focus on cheminformatics solutions our role is to translate a problem into a potential solution and facilitate the identification of the appropriate path to resolution, establish the necessary relationships and, where appropriate, bring together the necessary team to solve the problem. With a well-developed network of contacts in the industry and access to a skilled team of developers and project managers with many years of experience ChemConnector may be able to provide an answer to your probem.
- Dec 1, 2006 - May 1, 2009
- ChemZoo is a small team of people focused on delivering innovative chemistry software solutions to scientists across the planet. Our intention is to introduce innovative scientific software technologies that can be of value to academia and to chemical, pharmaceutical and biotech companies around the world. Our efforts are presently represented by ChemSpider at www.chemspider.com. ChemSpider is a chemistry search engine. It has been built with the intention of aggregating and indexing chemical structures and their associated information into a single searchable repository and make it available to everybody, at no charge. ChemSpider is focused on Building a Structure Centric Community for Chemists and has released a free access website of over 20 million molecules integrated to Open Access literature, chemical vendors, partnering websites and chemistry-related information.
Chief Science Officer
- Advanced Chemistry Development
- Mar 1, 2003 - Jul 1, 2007
- Leading various parts of the organization including sales, marketing, customer services and with a specific focus on our technical development. Had the opportunity to work with some of the best intellect in the industry, both inside and outside the company, to develop some of the leading tools in the marketplace.
Business Development and Marketing Manager
- Advanced Chemistry Development
- Mar 1, 2002 - Mar 1, 2003
- Establishing visions and managing the product management and design and implementation team for appropriate functionality in desktop chemistry-based software products including spectroscopy processing and management (NMR, MS, IR, UV-Vis), structure drawing, physicochemical property prediction (LogP, pKa, LogD, BP etc.) and nomenclature generation (IUPAC and CAS Index Naming); Project head for the SLIMS web-based sample, structure and spectral management Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). This system was the basis of SIMPLE, a fully cGMP compliant web-based sample management system presently in the third year of a four phase implementation cycle for Pfizer; Primary responsible person for conference presentations in both oral and published formats; Manage second line managers in marketing communication and technical support staff to work through and answer customer issues; Marketing concept design and management of ACD graphic designers and web page design concepts.
VP of Scientific Development and Marketing
- Advanced Chemistry Development
- Mar 1, 2000 - Mar 1, 2002
- Primary technical consultant to sales staff and customers regarding implementation of spectroscopy management tools and other ACD/Labs software; Worldwide on-site consultant for ACD/Labs software (Europe, Asia and North America); Responsible for establishing and maintaining collaborative partnerships and relationships. Manage second line managers in marketing communication and technical support staff to work through and answer customer issues;
Senior Product Manager
- Advanced Chemistry Development
- Mar 1, 1997 - Mar 1, 2000
- Establishing visions and managing the product management and design and implementation team for appropriate functionality in desktop chemistry-based software products including spectroscopy processing and management (NMR, MS, IR, UV-Vis), structure drawing, physicochemical property prediction (LogP, pKa, LogD, BP etc.) and nomenclature generation (IUPAC and CAS Index Naming); Project head for the SLIMS web-based sample, structure and spectral management Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). This system was the basis of SIMPLE, a fully cGMP compliant web-based sample management system for Pfizer; Marketing concept design and management of ACD graphic designers, web page design concepts and advertising support.
NMR Technology Leader
- Eastman Kodak Company
- May 1, 1992 - Mar 1, 1997
- Management of 7 professional NMR spectroscopists and 2 technicians; Defending and management of laboratory annual budget (over 2.2 million dollars in terms of capital spending, ongoing costs); Maintenance and operation of nine NMR spectrometers including three for walk-up service ; Co-designer of a web-based LIMS system for managing research samples and data within the Analytical Technology Division of Eastman Kodak; Enabled a walk-up facility (MS, NMR and IR) to serve the spectroscopy needs of Kodak research chemists; Support of Kodak spectroscopy needs including research, scale-up and manufacturing support; Established worldwide NMR team including cross divisional and geographical boundaries (including Europe); Provide an environment appropriate to teamwork and development of group dynamics; Publication of research in peer-reviewed journals and internal to Kodak; Perform and guide research to maintain state-of-the-art NMR capabilities across Kodak worldwide
NMR Facility Director
- Ottawa University
- May 1, 1990 - May 1, 1992
- Maintenance and operation of two NMR spectrometers including walk-up service; Support of Chemistry and Biochemistry department staff and students for acquisition and interpretation of data including innovation of appropriate techniques to solve the immediate problems; Management of laboratory finances and budget; Presenting teaching courses in spectroscopy; Interfacing with industrial and government laboratories to provide services; Utilizing local NMR equipment around Ottawa to support University needs (included solid state NMR, 400MHZ, 500MHz and 600MHz Varian and Bruker liquid state spectrometers, EPR spectroscopy) ; Writing NMR supporting documentation for publications; Providing defense to Canadian government agencies for scientific activities (spectroscopy support and instrument upgrades); Authoring the Marion Prober, the Ottawa University NMR newsletter.
- National Research Council, Canada
- Dec 1, 1988 - May 1, 1990
- EPR spectroscopist specializing in single-crystal EPR studies of free radicals
- An Introduction to the ScientistsDB Wiki
- Identifying Known Unknowns Using ChemSpider
- The Spectral Game: leveraging Open Data and crowdsourcing for education
- Automatic vs. manual curation of a multi-source chemical dictionary: the impact on text mining
- Computer-assisted methods for molecular structure elucidation: realizing a spectroscopist's dream
“We have leveraged Tony's deep knowledge and experience to help us in critical business decisions. He has alway delivered prompt and effective guidance. His ability to understand how to solve business and technical problems is a unique combination that has been extremely valuable for our business as we grow. Our respect for Tony as a person and his talents has continued to increase over our 6 year relationship.”http://www.linkedin.com/in/antonywilliamsJoe Simpkins, President, Virscidian Inc
“I have been absolutely pleased with his work, passion and drive that he demonstrates constantly no matter what project he is on. He is very intelligent and quick to grasp any complicated business case and offers great advice that is worth considering. During his consultancy tenure with us he was given some short timelines to deliver on and extended himself to ensure that they were delivered on schedule. He manages to quickly turnaround answers to questions with a rigorous analysis of why he arrived at his solution. He has an extended network which he has been able to integrate us with to our benefit. While using the objectivity of a scientist to make decisions he also has the soft-skills necessary to develop relationships and manage team interplay.”http://www.linkedin.com/in/antonywilliamsAniko Simon, VP, SimBioSys
“Antony Williams is a visionary in every sense of the word, but unlike many visionaries - he actually executed on his vision with other very talented individuals - he made it happen. In a world of trapped, locked down information, he is working to create an open, curated chemistry environment where the trust in the data and the ease in finding the properties and structures are fused together.”http://www.linkedin.com/in/antonywilliamsSam Batterman, Business Intelligence Evangelist, Microsoft Corp
“Perhaps the best way to describe Antony Williams is as a modern day knight of great eloquence, integrity, charisma, vision, and intelligence. I found him to be a creative, rigorous, honest, open minded scientist. He is a joy to work with. In his role as a product manager and chief science officer, he was very hard to surprise with chemical and life science industry news that he wasn’t already aware of. All of this, he integrated into a great business acumen and hard working ethics that he tempered by a genuine care for people, humanity and social responsibility.”http://www.linkedin.com/in/antonywilliamsMichel Hachey, Technical specialist, ACD/Labs
“I had the privilege to work with Tony and the opportunity to discover and understand the qualities that make an awesome leader. Tony was always there to encourage his employees when times were good, but equally, was there to reassure employees when times got tough. Tony has an innate leadership quality to "rally the troops" and fire up a team to continually work hard at achieving their goals. He is a role model and mentor to many people, putting great effort into providing guidance and direction to help others fulfill their aspirations. Tony is also a great entrepreneur, a creative scientist and a visionary in his own right and is certainly a great asset to any organization he works with.”http://www.linkedin.com/in/antonywilliamsDavid Fung, Professional Services Specialist, Advanced Chemistry Development, Inc.
“Tony is a visionary, a great leader, and wonderful person.”http://www.linkedin.com/in/antonywilliamsRyan Sasaki, Technical Marketing Specialist, Advanced Chemistry Development (ACD/Labs)
“Tony is a superb leader. I've always seen his drive, determination and passion inspire others to work harder, reach higher and achieve greatness. He has an uncanny ability to bond a disparate group of individuals into a highly functional team. Tony is, indeed, one of the hardest-working people I've ever met - as well as one of the most brilliant, visionary minds in chemistry today. He understands the industry, sees the trends, and anticipates where the science (and business) should go next. His dedication to his science and his work responsibilities is unparalleled.”http://www.linkedin.com/in/antonywilliamsRae Lawrence, Account Manager, Advanced Chemistry Development (ACD/Labs)
University of London
Bourne Medal for PhD Thesis
University of Liverpool
Morris Ranger Scholarship