My area of speciality is Digital Media, building and managing successful digital businesses. Recruiting, managing and mentoring international digital sales and marketing teams, online editorial teams, digital design and developer teams to work collaboratively in consistently achieving rapid and sustained revenue growth. All this while maintaining a commercial focus, developing packages of value to marketers from leading global brands (Fortune 500/Times Top 100 companies) while developing multiple new revenue streams, reinventing and creating successful businesses across multiple territories.
I have conceptualised and launched multiple multi-million revenue generating brands, from oonsumer technology through to high-end Enterprise B2B brands. I have grown businesses acting initially on my own steam, building up the team as the business grew through to managing large, established teams on established, international brands.
- Panacea Media
- Sep 1, 2011 - Current
- > Conceptualising and implementing strategies to build digital revenue streams across multiple platforms > Monetising digital businesses and brands > Building and sustaining client relationships to ensure future growth > Developing businesses opportunities in new territories
Int'l Digital Director
- Dennis Publishing
- Jun 1, 2010 - Sep 1, 2011
- Identifying opportunities and implementing the expansion of Dennis Publishing's digital international footprint.This included the fast deployment of multiple site- launches into multiple territories - setting up business ventures across Europe, Asia and America and growing international revenue streams exponentially for Dennis Publishing.
Digital Publishing Director
- Dennis Publishing
- Jan 1, 2006 - Jun 1, 2010
- Brought into the company to restructure and grow the digital technology portfolio. In my four years in this role the groups revenue grew 600%+ and profitability grew 800%+.
Head Of Digital Sales
- Jan 1, 2004 - Dec 1, 2005
- Launched and developed what became IDG's no.1 revenue-generating UK digital brand. In the two years at IDG I increased their digital revenue 500%+ generating revenue from tier-one global B2B and B2C brands.
Digital Sales Director
- Reed Business
- Jan 1, 2001 - Jul 1, 2002
- Solely focused on generating the revenue for a new digital business division within the publishing giant, Reed Business Information. Offering multi-platform digital solutions for technology advertising across the display and recruitment market. 6 months into the launch, our business division/brand was the No.1 UK technology site in terms of volume of campaigns and revenue, generating $5m in its first year of trading.
Head of Online Sales-VNUnet
- VNU Business Publications
- Jan 1, 1999 - Jan 1, 2001
- Managed all sales activity and developed the VNUnet.com digital technology portfolio into the UK's No.1 - in terms of of revenue - one-stop digital advertising solution.
Head Of Sales - Corporate Sales Division
- Jan 1, 1996 - Jan 1, 1999
- VNU's Corporate Sales Team managed the top 50 technology advertisers in the UK market. This team was set up to increase VNU's share of the premium UK advertisers through expert account management and understanding of the client's objectives. In my time on the Corporate Sales team we grew revenue exponentially, increasing the Top 50 client spend four-fold, representating more than 25% of VNU's total turnover by 1999.
“"Barry is a rare breed of boss - someone works well with creative people but always has hit feet firmly on the ground, and his eye on the bottom line. He has helped launch websites like IT.PRO and Know Your Cell and build up other websites such as Know Your Mobile. He want his brands to be successful on the balance sheet and in terms of editorial quality. He would make a fantastic contribution to any digital department." ”Mat ToorHead of Digital at Imagine Publishing
“"I have had the pleasure of working with Barry at Dennis Publishing and other previous companies on several business levels for almost ten years. He is a smart individual with a broad knowledge of the technology market and the online publishing sector. Barry has always shown a keen interest and deep understanding of digital media. He has worked hard at building an maintaining industry relationship and has always got on well with the people in my teams over the years. It's also worth adding that he is always enjoyable company on both a professional and personal level." ”Alan KingHead of Digital Activation at UM London
“"I recruited Barry when MD of Dennis Interactive to launch a site (ITPRO) which in time has grown to be one of Dennis's top revenue-generating online properties. Dennis had struggled to get a foothold in the UK IT business market so this was quite an achievement. Barry soon demonstrated the qualities to take on more responsibility and in my time at Dennis grew the entire online technology portfolio into one of the major players in the UK. I now manage my own technology company and still enjoy a professional relationship with Barry working collaboratively on one of the most successful launches in recent Dennis history, KnowYourMobile ..." ”Guy SneesbyManaging Director at Genie Group Ltd and Owner, Genie Group Litd
“"Barry brought in a common sense approach and structure to our sales effort which helped us to to grow revenue and subsequently the sales team. He fostered a work hard/play hard atmosphere with great camaradie within the team which made VNUnet an enjoyable and rewarding place to work." ”Matthew BeckBusiness Development Director at Adfonic
“"Barry is a senior leader and strategist who speaks with authority on all things Media and Digital related. He has a unique way of cutting through the noise to focus on key commercial goals and the best course of action to achieve them. His no nonsense approach combined with a sharp sense of humour, makes him an absolute pleasure to do business with." ”Russ CarrollBusiness Development Director PriceGrabber UK
““Barry was recommended to me while I was launching Techworld.com which was achieving some success targeting an Enterprise IT audience. IDG UK had no-one in the company at that time with experience in generating and growing online ad revenue in this sector. When we met, Barry had just left a start-up digital agency, so the timing was good. We worked closely together and, from nothing, took the site to a million plus turnover with a sales team of 4, positioning the site as a serious B2B contender against the very established and well resourced competition. We remain friends, working on some projects together and snowboarding in Chamonix when the opportunity arises.””Guy EatonOwner, Co-Founder, RubbaGlove