Since 2000 I have been providing freelance editorial services (copyediting, fact checking, proofreading, and substantive editing) to clients such as MIT Press Journals, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, The Cat Clinic of Norman (OK), and the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía (Madrid).
My career in publishing began in the late 1990s. After completing my MA in English, I took a position with Saxon Publishers, where I remained for six years, rising to become manager of the editorial support services department. There I supervised a team of copy editors, proofreaders, and freelance indexers.
I bring to my work a sensitive ear for the flow of language, a deep understanding of Chicago style, a strong command of grammar and syntax, careful attention to detail, and a keen awareness of the myriad ways phrasing, word order, and word choice can lead to misinterpretation.
Although a generalist, I have extensive experience in the subjects of history, art, architecture, literary criticism and theory, education, and veterinary medicine.
- Davey Editorial Services
- Jan 1, 2000 - Current
- My freelance editorial business.
- Connecticut Feline Medicine and Surgery, LLC
- Jan 1, 2012 - Current
- My wife's new veterinary practice. I manage the money, advertising, web design, and many other things. I designed and created the website: http://www.ctFeline.com/.
- The Cat Clinic of Norman
- Jan 1, 2001 - Sep 5, 2011
- Did I mention I have small business experience too? For my wife's veterinary practice I managed the finances, advertising, insurance, and website development, among other activities. Until about 2008 I also served as practice manager, assisting with the day-to-day operations of the practice.
Manager of Editorial Support Services
- Saxon Publishers
- Aug 31, 1998 - Nov 1, 2004
- Managed a team of copy editors, proofreaders, and freelance indexers. Oversaw completion of copyediting projects, primarily math and phonics textbooks but also marketing materials such as brochures and catalogs. In 2004 Saxon Publishers was acquired by Harcourt Achieved and the Norman, OK, office was closed.
Senior Library Assistant
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen and Hamilton
- Aug 1, 1996 - Jul 31, 1998
- I actually started out as a temp worker for the DC office of this international law firm. They liked me well enough to hire me on full-time as a library assistant. After about a year, in which I assisted in the move of the law library to the firm's current Pennsylvania Avenue location, I was promoted to senior library assistant.
- Marlboro Music Festival
- Jun 1, 1990 - Aug 15, 1995
- For six wonderful summers, I worked in the library of the Marlboro Music Festival on the Marlboro College Campus in southern Vermont.
Adjunct Instructor, Architecture Division
- University of Oklahoma School of Architecture
- Jan 17, 2005 - May 13, 2005
- Co-taught an upper-level undergraduate course on the role of place in literature.
Awarded graduate scholarship.
Psychology and English
Graduated summa cum laude.