I am an entreprenerd; I mix business and technology to solve hard problems. Over my 25 year+ career, I have founded six startups and have had four successful exits. I have also held executive positions with Sun Microsystems, Charles Schwab, and Juniper Networks.
As Winston Churchill said "Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Couple that sentiment with learning something new and improving with each iteration and we're on to something.
Currently, I lead Coastside Ventures where we perform consulting, make catalytic investments, manage real estate, and operate our own businesses. Our featured project is Oddyssea, an interactive arts and sciences retail experience. Come explore, create, & discover at Oddyssea.
- Early Start-up Career
- Jan 1, 1984 - Jan 1, 1997
- I founded several companies including the Job Journal, PonyExpress Internet Mail Services, WebFrame Enterprises, and Vertical Concepts with a success exit from each company.
- Jan 1, 1997 - Jan 1, 1999
- Co-founder and CTO of Servlet. Founded to create Java web servers to compete with the likes of Weblogic. Due to errors in my judgment, I drove the company into the ground and it died. It was the most expensive graduate course in business I could have selected.
- Early Standard Career
- Jan 1, 1987 - Jan 1, 1997
- While moving in and out of startups, I also held positions with increasing responsibility as an employee with the US Navy, EBMUD, Charles Schwab & Co, and Sun Microsystems. I started this phase as a junior programmer/analyst and ended as an engineering director.
- Sun Microsystems
- Jan 1, 1999 - Jun 1, 2006
- I rejoined Sun in 1999 to help get network based services for Sun customers established and grew through the Director ranks to a Vice President leading a business unit. During my tenure, I reduced costs from ~$50M/year to ~$10M/ year, refreshed the product line with new content, packaging, and pricing, and grew revenue from $0 to $16M/year upon my departure.In a prior role, I led the team that designed a new proactive service suite based on risk index that grew from $0 to over $300M/year.
- Coastside Ventures
- Jun 1, 1987 - Current
- Coastside Ventures is an umbrella company for activities including, web publishing, angel investing, startup advisory services, and other projects.
VP/GM Developer Products & Programs
- Juniper Networks
- May 31, 2008 - Mar 21, 2012
- I had the most exciting and best job at Juniper leading the developer team. We worked to catalyze a developer ecosystem on Juniper's software platforms: Junos, Junos Space, Junos Pulse, and Junosphere.
Co-founder, Board Member
- Apr 1, 2011 - Mar 1, 2014
- Along with Steve Years and Bart Clarkson, I co-founded re.vu (pronounced "review.") This idea was catalyzed from an experience I had in representing myself for a new opportunity. It seemed like after 500 years of text-based, chronological resumes there might be a chance to improve them and create a mechanism for people to more accurately and fully represent themselves using modern, visual technologies.Get your re.vu today: http://re.vu/
- Mar 1, 2012 - Current
- Oddyssea is a new retail concept store located in beautiful downtown Half Moon Bay, California. Oddyssea is an interactive retail experience in the science, art, nature, and technology fields. Drop by and visit the store, you'll have a blast! http://oddyssea.com/contact