Updated April 2013
Husband, father, educator, all around good guy
Educator & User Experience (UX) Designer with a focus on Mobile Design, Computer-Mediated Learning and Communication. Coffee aficionado, avid cyclist and HTML5 Evangelist.
Director of Mobile Design + Experience
- Beehive Designs
- Dec 5, 2011 - Current
- Beehive creates mobile experiences that cross all smartphones, tablets and mobile internet devices. We deliver mobile apps with rich user interfaces, unique features and engaging content. mLearning, Mobile Design, Mobile Web
Coordinator, Interactive Multimedia Graduate Certificate
- Sheridan College
- Aug 26, 2002 - Current
- Interactive Multimedia focuses on designing digital environments in which people can interact to create content, not just navigate through content. This leads to a unique feeling of engagement and empowerment. Rules are set to define the environment and the interface is provided for interaction were the state of the content is often shared by multiple people and stored for return visits. Interactive Multimedia encapsulates games and puzzles; tools and applications; artistic and experimental work; and simulations for education and entertainment. Its two main strengths are to create engaging content and to allow people to communicate through a computer mediated environment. Sheridan experience includes course development for the Faculty of Science and Technology (formerly ACES); development of faculty resources on pedagogy of video for teaching and learning. Interdisciplinary/Interprofessional Task Force - Academic Innovation Strategy (2009) Adventure Learning - Academic Innovation Strategy (2010/2011)
Interaction Designer and Information Architect
- Andrew Smyk Dot Com
- Nov 8, 1994 - Current
- Designer and developer of interactive websites and flash applications for Rogers Media, Bell Canada, Astra-Zeneca, IBM, Alliance Atlantis, Rheostatics, Gen-Pharm, Hewlett-Packard, Dell Computers, AirMiles, Etrade Canada (now iTrade), CBC Television, Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Royal Bank of Canada, Shakespeareworks, City Bikes, Timbertot Playsets. Information Architecture/Interaction Design for Bank of Montreal (BMO), Rogers, Bell Canada, Sheridan College Astra-Zeneca, Jam3, American Express Canada Instructional Design for Embanet/AiO, Sheridan College, Humber College, Seneca College, University of Toronto, GM Canada, Astra-Zeneca, McNeil Pharmaceuticals, TD Canada Trust.
Instructional Design, Content Designer/SME - Economics
- Nov 5, 2001 - Apr 30, 2002
- Design course outline and instructional content for an online course in microeconomics. Created course content, including lecture slides, course assignments and evaluations (quiz modules, written/discussion forum topics, module self-assessments).
- March Networks
- Oct 4, 1999 - Nov 2, 2001
- Designer, animator and developer of web and cdrom content and applications for financial and pharmaceutical industries. Clients included: McNeil Pharmaceuticals, Etrade Canada, GM Canada, National Printers, Score Golf. Web Implementation Lead for the rebranding and relaunch of Etrade Canada. Planned and designed templates for Etrade's site upgrades and established protocols for content curation.
- Humber College
- Apr 1, 2002 - Jul 26, 2002
Project Manager, Interactive
- Predator Group
- Apr 5, 1999 - Oct 1, 1999
- Boot strapped and managed the new interactive department for the Predator Group agency, Managed and directed interactive projects for existing and new clients, delivering web and cdrom based projects. Content development and curation for elearning applications for clients in manufacturing and heavy industry. Developed project guidelines and protocols for interactive projects.
What is HTML5?
- Sheridan Mobile Summit
- May 5, 2011
- Presented "What is HTML5"? Sheridan/RIM Mobile Summit
- Education for Interaction Design
- Dec 6, 2011
- Panel discussion on the state of Interaction Design education.
Interdisciplinary & Interprofessional Task Force
- Academic Innovation Strategy
- Sep 7, 2009
- Co-Authored a white paper on the Exploration on the Current and Future State of Interdisciplinary and Interprofessional Studies at Sheridan.
Adventure Learning Committee
- Academic Innovation Strategy
- Sep 6, 2010
- Development of a real-time adventure learning module for business students.
LMS Interface Redesign
- Sheridan NILES
- Jan 8, 2007
- User Interface and User Experience initiatives to improve the usability and content of the SLATE LMS interface.
- Curriculum Initiatives
- Mar 10, 2003
- Curriculum development and cross-course development with Holland College's Interactive Multimedia Program
March Networks acquires Infopreneur
- March Networks | Infopreneur
- Dec 20, 2000
- Editors' Association of Canada
- Jun 9, 2003
- Web design/interaction for the Editors' Association of Canada, “Scenes from a Marriage: Text and Image in Web Design.”
- Launch First Web Project
- Nov 6, 1995
- Launch first online retail web presence for Canadian bicycle manufacturer.
- Academic Innovation Strategy
- Feb 29, 2012
- Strategic committee to improve academic pathways for students accessing programs through articulation agreements and terms for credit transfers.
Music for the Masses
- Launch First eCommerce Project
- Apr 7, 1997
- Launch first eCommerce project "Music for the Masses", buy - trade - swap records and cds, locally, globally.
Online Brokerage Firm
- Launch Mobile Site
- Jun 1, 2001
- Launch full featured mobile site for online brokerage firm for Palm and Windows CE devices.
Hybrid Course Development
- Sheridan College
- Mar 26, 2012
- Development course content for hybrid delivery.
Flash Animation Workshop
- Seneca College
- Mar 5, 2002
- One day Flash Animation Workshop on timeline based character animation for 1st year Seneca Digital Media students.
eLearning CD-Rom Publication
- Launch CD-Rom based eLearning
- Feb 1, 1999
- Develop and launch several CD-Rom based elearning initiatives Canadian Corporate clients.
SMS Response System
- Prototype SMS Transit Information System
- Oct 3, 2005
- Prototype SMS based Real-time Transit Rapid Response System for transit riders.
- Program Review - IMM
- Mar 8, 2012
- Lead for course wide program review for IMM at Sheridan College. Document editing and content curation. Curriculum ideation and design.
- KiDIGITAL - FITO Meet-up
- Mar 28, 2012
- Panel discussion on kid's growing up in a digial world, a look at apps for kids, what's good, what's bad and much more. Panelists: Jason Krough, Andrew Smyk, David Girolami, Jeremy Bell Moderator: Simon Conlin
- Higher Ed Web - Arkansas
- Jul 27, 2012
- Leveraging mobile to increase student engagement Make your course content more accessible and increase student engagement by leveraging mobile devices and social media tools to communicate lessons, readings, assignments and feedback to students in and out of the traditional classroom.
- Higher Ed Web - Syracuse
- Jun 25, 2012
- I was promised mLearning and Flying Cars
Years Experience in Curriculum Management
Hockey Jersey Number
Years of Web Development Experience
“Andrew was always my go-to resource to make the impossible possible.”Rick BrownCreative Director, March Networks
“Andrew was instrumental in leading our efforts to select appropriate collaborative platforms to allow us to meet our project objectives.”Golnaz Golnaraghi, MBAProfessor, Sheridan College
“Andrew not only gave you what you expected, but provided you with innovative options that allowed you to save time and money, and/or produce a better final product.”Amitav DashDirector of Sales & Marketing, The Predator Group
“With a few quick sketches and verbal explanation, Andrew and his team at Predator made Magic happen! His understanding and interpretation of a creative/technical challenge, made Andrew a very important asset at Predator.”Bill DubsCreative Director, The Predator Group
“Andrew provided me with a highly engaging learning experience while completing my post-grad in interactive multimedia. Coupled with his humor and passion for technology it was truly a great experience attending his classes.”Zain AbiddinIMM Student
“Andrew has done an excellent job in development of a new course in user interface design. His extensive background and experience in interactive multimedia were vital to ensure that students of our programs learn how to apply user focused industry best practices to meet the needs of a variety platforms.”Jerry KotubaProfessor, Sheridan College
“Andrew combines his sense of humour and expertise in the field to deliver well-organized lessons tailored to the students' level of knowledge. Andrew has always been a supportive and approachable professor, who goes out of his way to ensure his students succeed.”Jean LeIMM Student
University of Toronto - Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
Curriculum, Learning and Teaching, Knowledge Media, User Experience Design
Accounting and Finance
Phi Kappa Sigma - Beta Chi Chapter
Interests Over Time