Dennis Thomas O'Connor
Updated August 2013
Dennis Thomas O'Connor: E-Learning, Online Teaching, Information Fluency
E-Learning Online Teaching 6-Traits Writing Instruction Course & Program Design Ed-Tech Consulting Services
Founding Partner / E-Learning Architect
- Information Fluency Partners
- Jun 1, 2008 - Current
- Information Fluency Partners develops and delivers modular online content explaining all aspects of information fluency. We also provide low cost, Moodle based classes in PowerSearching and Website Investigation. We are available for conference presentations. Our courses and curriculum can be licensed by state or local agencies as a convenient way of delivering training on 21st Century Skills.
Program Advisor: Graduate Certificate in E-Learning and Online Teaching
- University of Wisconsin-Stout E-Learning and Online Teaching
- Jan 1, 2005 - Current
- Earn graduate credits via online courses and meet your professional development goals to be certified as highly qualified in the area of e-learning instruction and training. Candidates who complete the courses will demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to effectively teach or train online and serve as leaders in distance learning initiatives. The certificate program includes four three-credit online courses and a practicum focusing on subject matter expertise in e-learning technology and pedagogy for hybrid and fully online environments. Each course addresses educational needs that are highly specific to the processes of teaching and learning via the Internet.
Lead Reviewer, Seal of Alignment Team
- International Society for Technology in Education
- Jan 1, 2001 - Current
- I Review Educational Technology Products for ISTE, The International Society for Technology in Education. This entails reviewing online and print based learning materials for their support of NETS-S, NETS-T, and NETS-A. I have reviewed materials from PBS-Teacherline, Think.com, Intel Teach, Discovery.com, ICT, Microsoft, and the Chicago Public Schools Using Technology for Professional Purposes Program.
- Jan 1, 1999 - Current
- E-Learning Online Teaching 6-Traits Writing Instruction Course & Program Design Ed-Tech Consulting Services
Consultant / Presenter / Trainer
- Save Class Time.com
- Jan 1, 2008 - Dec 1, 2010
- SaveClassTime.com is dedicated to helping school administrators and classroom teachers deal effectively with student behavior management. I provide conference presentations and school workshops that help educators save class time by ending 90% of the small, but disruptive student behaviors that interrupt instruction. Through an empathetic and respectful process of early intervention and logical follow through classroom discipline improves remarkably!
Lecturer (College of Education)
- Cal State San Marcos
- Jan 1, 2008 - Dec 1, 2009
- After 7 years online I thought it would be useful to reconnect with face to face teaching. It has been a blast! I'm currently teaching educational technology to teaching certificate candidates. Working face to face has renewed my empathy for folks who struggle to master technology as part of the complex process of learning to teach. It's inspiring to be working with young, idealistic people!
Senior E-Learning Architect
- Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
- Jan 1, 2008 - Jul 1, 2008
- This position develops and coordinates online learning initiatives for IMSA’s external programs, enabling effective dissemination of professional development and learning resources to educators and students throughout Illinois, the nation and the world. I'm delighted to continue on with IMSA and the Illinois Virtual High School in this new capacity. I look forward to working with a variety of web 2.0 tools and course management systems (Moodle, eCollege, D2L ) as I work on a series of fascinating new projects.
Editor & Online Curriculum Developer
- Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
- Aug 1, 2000 - Jan 1, 2008
- Consult, design, create online learning materials. Teach online classes. Create learning objects. Edit and write Full Circle Resource Kits. See http://21cif.imsa.edu
- California State University East Bay
- Mar 1, 2001 - Jan 1, 2005
- Instructor: Technology Tools for Online Instructors. This is a course in the Online Teaching and Learning Graduate Program.
- University of Northern Iowa
- Jan 1, 2001 - May 1, 2003
- I wrote and taught several online graduate courses for UNI's online professional development program: Teaching Writing with the Six Traits, Teaching with a Multicultural Perspective, Webtools for Educators. The Online PD program was an entrepreneurial outreach program developed by Joan Vandervelde. In 2003 the program moved to the University of Wisconsin Stout where it thrives to this day.
- Connected Univeristy
- Jan 1, 1999 - Jan 1, 2001
- A guide at Connected University was the learning facilitator for online learning in any given classroom. I taught nearly 30 different online courses for CU. These were online professional development classes for teachers focused primarily on educational technology,
- Douglas County School District (Nevada)
- Aug 1, 1979 - Jun 1, 2000
- I taught in a variety of public school teaching positions for nearly 25 years. As a language arts and technology teacher I've worked to integrate technology and learning since the very early 80's. I was a district technology director and language arts coordinator. However, I learned the most in classrooms working with kids from 4th grade through high school. I was named district teacher of the year in 1995. This was the same year I was named a Milken National Educator.
Western Governors University
Instructional Design & Technology Integration
California State University-Hayward
Education:Online Teaching and Learning
California State University-Northridge
University of California, Berkeley
University of Southern California